Friday, March 6, 2009

Podcast Reviews: This American Life and How Stuff Works

Helen Perdue
Podcast Review:
This American Life, Chicago Public Radio (#375, Bad Bank, 3/1/09)
March 6, 2009


This American Life: Podcast Favorite by Chicago Public Radio

Today I downloaded a Podcast to my computer for the first time. And then, I listened to it. Well, most of it. And after making this selective choice of content and time, I can attest to its value, and my membership to popular opinion (at last!)

The American Life must is listed as number 2 the ‘podcast favorites’ for a good reason. this show, or at least this episode of the show, provided me with more understanding about the current economic crisis than I've had to date. Rather than numbers and stats, the program broke down the vocabulary used in sound-bite reporting (on the topic) to a level that most of us can truly grasp.

The premise of the episode is that 'the news is confusing.’ The reporter began the program by quoting several mainstream daily news updates on the economy, all of which use terminology that the average lay person would not be able to understand. Then, he brought in experts in the field to explain what the terminology means and how it relates to the current situation.

An explanation of a doll-house company 'in crisis, for example, is no more distant from my reality than an example of a fortune 500 and/or stock market story. And it sure provided a platform for some good jokes. I was learning about the economy and laughing at the same time! Imagine that?

So is there any downside to this week’s Podcast “All American Life”? Well, the show is an hour. Same amount as a news show, right? But I only got through half of it in one sitting. This, of course, is not all doom to the show. As I now have the show in my podcast library, I can come back to it anytime.

And I probably will. If I really want to know what I am talking about when the topic of 'the economy' arises over conversation, then this is the show I want to listen to. Beyond facts, it provides understanding, and then some. When you can combine genuine education about the economy with a few laughs in the midst, you’ve done right by me. And apparently, I am not the only one.

Thanks, Guys!

Helen Perdue
Review of 2 other Podcasts downloaded from i-tunes:

1) How stuff works. com 'Stuff your mother never told you' 3/4/09

And

2) How stuff works.com 'Stuff you did not learn in history class' 3/4/09


Both of these podcasts were disappointing, at best.

The first podcast from 'stuff your mother never told you' included two women talking about the issue/question as to whether women like to (or are good at) negotiating. From start to finish, the women speakers offended my position as a woman. Although the facts were interesting and relevant (eg. Women make 80% of what men make) the tone and content of the podcast reinforced images of the ‘dumb girl’ in the work force.


The second was a contemplation of the truth and value of religious documentation, under the misleading title of ‘Stuff you Missed in History Class.’ A guy and a girl were talking about ‘Noah’s arch’ and a few other biblical references. Their bottom line message: Its all about your faith.

To some degree, I agree. Faith is important. But this podcast made me want nothing to do with it.


Survey says: Thumbs down on the 'How Stuff Works' podcasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment